Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

I thought I'd start with my most recent read first. There are certain times of day that I devote to reading. Mostly, it's before bed, but on the weekend it's also whenever my daughter naps. I love these times and look forward to them.

This week when my daughter acted tired, I got excited thinking, "I get to read!" and then I remembered that I finished Paranormalcy already. This is definitely one that I wanted to just keep going and going. Why?

It's obviously fantasy fiction. You can tell that from the title alone, but this is not like any other fantasy you've read. Not this year at least. It was a cross between X-Men (movie) and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV show).

And it was funny. I can't write funny and when I picked this book up, I wondered if Kiersten could pull it off. Well, she did.

And best of all? I emailed Kiersten to tell her how much I enjoyed the book. This is her debut novel, which happens to be a bestseller, so I didn't expect a response, but she wrote me back and told me to keep at it (writing that is).

From her website, I found out that she queried forty-something agents before landing hers. If that's not persistence, I don't know what is!

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited. I should have got it from you. I'm third in line for it. I can't believe you got a personal response. Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...thanks for letting me borrow it. I didn't get the funny, which continues to prove our different senses of humor. It was okay. Good concept. ***Spoiler*** I wish she was human though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so cool that she responded! That should definitely give you motivation to keep at it!

    ReplyDelete