Friday, October 29, 2010

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

I picked up this book from my library because I was in the mood for a good Halloween read. It's about zombies, although in the book, they're called Unconsecrated.

It was an interesting read that reminded me a lot of the movie, The Village, but not to an extent that bothered me. And as I think back, I see the book in two acts, each distinctly different.

I was a little frustrated with the main character, Mary, because she gave up a lot, and the ending wasn't necessarily a happy one.

Actually the entire book had a darkness to it, which was exactly what I was looking for at the time that I picked it up.

There was one scene, though, that disturbed me, and this won't ruin the book, so I don't mind sharing it with you. At one point, Mary finds an infant Unconsecrated. Carrie Ryan described this child in detail, and the thought of it haunts me. I can't seem to get it out of my head.

This book has a sequel, The Dead-Tossed Waves, and while I'm now in the mood for something a little lighter, a little happier, I'll probably pick this one up as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment