Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Dead Tossed Waves

This one took me a long time to read. It's the sequel to The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It wasn't that it wasn't good. It was. It was that I fully intended to read something lighter after The Forest, but was in a hurry home from work one day and just grabbed this one to continue the story.

Another reason I was so slow to finish was because I told myself that I could only read when I was on the elliptical machine in my basement. I thought, foolishly, that I would be more willing to work out because I'd want to read. Well, instead of working out more, I just read less.

I enjoyed this sequel because it was from the daughter's perspective this time so you don't follow the same character. And this book also wasn't quite as tragic as the first. I did end up having a dream about killing zombies which I wasn't fond of, but that's what I get for reading right before bed.

The more I read this series the more I realize it isn't about zombies. It's about how the human race would react to a world infested with them. So the focus in this book is less on the dead and more on the emotions and choices of those still alive.

Even though tragedy isn't my favorite quality in a book, I have to say that one very tragic scene was so well written is was actually beautiful despite its sadness. The scene is so vivid that I can replay it over and over again in my head. That's good writing right there...

All in all, if you like horror and dark novels, and don't mind tragic events, pick these books up.

No comments:

Post a Comment