Monday, December 27, 2010

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

This book was raved about by all the speakers at the writer's conference I went to in October so I decided to pick it up to read on mine and my husband's fourth anniversary trip to NYC. By the synopsis, I knew I was in for a roller-coaster ride of emotions:

In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

I very much enjoyed the book, tears and all. The book is short at only 200 pages and I wanted more when it ended. Lucky for me, and everyone else for that matter, there is a sequel coming out in the Spring of 2011.

The only thing that struck me as odd was the slight profanity. I don't mind it if it's warranted and in-character, but when the main character used it, it didn't feel natural. It actually jarred me. Even so, I definitely recommend this book. It's contemporary Young Adult and is a nice change of pace from the supernatural variety of books I usually lean towards.

I may be completely wrong, but it seems as though more and more contemporary books are being published in the YA market right now. That does not mean good things for me who writes paranormal, but I do welcome the change.

As for New York? I may or may not have taken a picture in front of Simon and Schuster wishing I was one of their published authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment