Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Birthday and Goals

Today's my birthday. No. 27. There's something about the sound of "27" I just don't like. I'm no longer in my mid-twenties, but sliding into my late-twenties, which is just weird to me. I still don't think of myself as an adult...with a child...and a career.

I was looking at my driver's license and noticed it was due for a renewal in March...and then I looked at the weight listed. It's so not the weight I am right now, but I don't want it to be any higher so my goal is to get close enough to that weight by March that I don't feel bad about fudging it a little. And if I am that exact weight by March, even better.

But this isn't a weight-loss blog so another goal I want to talk about is my goal to finish Book No. 2. I want to try and finish the first draft in 6 weeks. I think I can do it as long as I write 2,000 words / 5 days a week. Actually by doing that, I should finish in 4 weeks, but I'm giving myself some extra room because I'm going in a different direction than I'd originally planned so even though I have 27,000 words written, I may only get to keep about half of those.

I sent my query letter for Book 1 to about 5 more agents last week, but I'm a little disheartened because not only have I been seeing the decline of fantasy YA novels on the shelves, but I read an agent blog today that stated that publishers are no longer looking for them and therefore neither are agents.

I know that trends change and paranormal might come back in a few years, and I've heard not to write for the trends, but I'm truly not. Paranormal just happens to be what I enjoy reading and enjoy writing.

So I'm just going to keep writing and hope that one day, whether it's next month or 5 years from now, and whether it's Book 1 or Book 10, that I'll be a published author.

So here's to the next few months. May I get slim and complete Book 2!

1 comment:

  1. awesome goals! I CAN NOT believe you are 27! That is insane to me! Can't wait to hear what book #2 is about!

    ReplyDelete