Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

When I started this blog, I said I would only post about books I LOVED and if I didn't LOVE it, I wouldn't post about it. Have you noticed that while I genuinely liked all of the books I've posted about, I did have a few gripes about some?

Turns out I read a lot slower than I originally thought I would. Who knew that a full-time job, 15-month-old, and an opposite-shift working husband, leaves rare moments of reading time.

BUT, I did LOVE Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock and I don't have any gripes. None at all. A friend of mine gave me this book for my birthday and it's not exactly the type of book I am normally drawn to. It is YA, but it's not paranormal. So I was a little skeptical, and it's largely about football.

Dairy Queen is an acclaimed debut novel introduces D.J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, her unusual family, and her unexpected friendship with the town’s rival quarterback.

While I don't care about football at all, I did care about D.J. and her friendship with said quarterback. This book handles "voice" so well! In the conference I went to in October, all the agents/editors kept saying "voice is so important. I'm looking for a novel with a great voice." And while I understood what they meant, I didn't really get what they meant...until I read this book.

The way the main character described everything was perfect. Never once did the author lose the main character's perspective. And it was funny. Laugh out loud at parts funny.

I'm so glad I read it. I will be reading the sequel which I have been warned is a little sadder than this first one, but this was one that I finished and kept forgetting I finished, and then when I remembered, I got mad.

2 comments:

  1. Not trying to spam your blog with comments, but I also loved Diary Queen, but my fav was the 3rd book in the series, Front and Center. You'll be happy when you're finished...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely don't consider comments spam! Can't wait to read Front and Center now. I'll post about it when I'm done. Thanks again for visiting!

    ReplyDelete