Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Matched by Ally Condie

When i first read about this book, I was soooo excited. This premise had me hooked and ready to pounce as soon as it was available:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

While the book was good and I respect and admire all that Ally Condie put into this, I feel that the idea was better than the actual execution. The first 300-or-some-odd pages were just okay for me. They didn't hold the suspense I expected. Since the book was about 330 pages or so, the last 30 pages were where it really had me. I just wish the entire book could have had what the last 30 pages had.

One of the problems I had with it was that in all the discussions I've been a part of about writing and in all of the conferences I've attended, I've heard, "Don't give the reader a reason to put the book down." And I agree with that. I have kind of an attention-span issue (as I think many of us do) and this book had a lot of breaks.

It was hard to keep the momentum going when every few paragraphs changed scenes or thoughts. Every time this happened, I put my bookmark in and closed the book. So, it ended up taking me about 3 weeks to read.

I'd still recommend this book, though and my experience hopefully won't be yours. If you had a different one with this book, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment