Friday, April 29, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

As the spaceship Godspeed travels toward a new earth, the lives of 100 cryogenically frozen settlers hang in the balance after someone endeavors to quietly murder them. The other passengers aboard the ship have never known life outside its walls and are enslaved by the machinations of Eldest, their tyrannical leader, who divides them into three distinct classes. When Amy, a frozen settler from earth, survives being thawed in a murder attempt, she immediately bonds with Elder, Godspeed's lone teen and future leader. Amy’s individuality, her rebellion, and her fierce desire for freedom, inspire Elder to act on his own doubts and defy Eldest--his mentor and keeper--with shocking results. Eldest’s methods of twisting history and altering the lives of this captive community are a frightening echo of tyrants in our own history, and Across the Universe challenges readers to consider the impact of unchecked power, blind trust, and the ability of one dissenting voice to make a difference.-- Seira Wilson

I read great reviews about this book so I grabbed it up as soon as it was available at my local library. There's a lot to like about this book. It's fast-paced, set in the future, but not so far out that you can't relate to the advanced technology of the spaceship. And my favorite part was that it switched first-person POVs like Shiver and Linger and also like Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist.

One thing that may keep me from recommending this to everyone is that there is more sex in this book than I'm used to from YA, and there's an almost-rape scene.

If you can be okay with that, then pick this up. There's a lot of beauty in the writing and one very sad, yet beautiful scene towards the end.

And of course I especially like the fact that this is a debut book from Beth Revis. Congratulations on a successful debut! I can't wait to read more from her.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashley, I tagged you in an 8 question MEME blog. You can read the details on my blog at http://bit.ly/jgIbbb. It's kind of fun and an easy blog idea.

    (I liked this book, too, BTW. Pretty interesting.)

    ReplyDelete