Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Spoiled by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan

I finished Spoiled about a week ago. It was a cute, fun read filled with LA life and movie stars, and DRAMA. It was sort of a teenage soap opera. So, I would say read it if you like soap operas and movie stars; don't if you don't.

While the story was compelling enough to get me to the end, I had issues with the plot...

Sixteen-year-old Molly Dix has just discovered that her biological father is Brick Berlin, world-famous movie star and red-carpet regular. Intrigued (and a little terrified) by her Hollywood lineage, Molly moves to Los Angeles and plunges headfirst into the deep of Beverly Hills celebrity life. Just as Molly thinks her life couldn't get any stranger, she meets Brooke Berlin, her gorgeous, spoiled half sister, who welcomes Molly to la-la land with a smothering dose of "sisterly love"...but in this town, nothing is ever what it seems.

Cute setup right? I thought so, too, but when I read the first chapter, I was let in on a secret. Molly doesn't move to LA just to meet her biological father for the first time in 16 years. She moves there because her mother died. For me, this killed the hilarity of her sister pulling pranks on Molly to get her to leave. I mean, her mother died.

I think I would have enjoyed the entire book more if she had to move to LA for another reason. A bad breakup? Her mother suffocating her with rules? Her mother traveling abroad for a job and needs Molly to stay with someone else while she's gone? Really, anything other than her dying.

She and her sister, Brooke, eventually talk about Molly's mother's death, but before that there's all this rivalry stuff between the two of them and I just couldn't enjoy it. Not under the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment