Thursday, August 4, 2011

No one is posting! Oh wait, neither am I.

Several weeks ago I read Undine by Penni Russon. I was at the library, perusing the Young Adult section when I spotted this cover:

With this blurb:
The magic. The girl. The ocean inside her.

And I had that heart-stopping aspiring author moment. This cover, this blurb is similar to my book. NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!

But then I picked it up and read this synopsis:
Undine isnt your ordinary teenage girl. She doesnt like Tuesdays, has a best friend named Trout, and can cause storms to form out of thin air. She comes from a tight-knit family that includes her mother, brother, and aunt. She has always been told that her father died before she was born but a mysterious whispering voice convinces her that he is still alive. Trout, thanks to his love of Shakespeare, links the words that the voice is speaking with The Tempest. After the book itself appears in her house, Undine figures out where the voice is calling from and goes to meet her father. –June H. Keuhn, Corning East High School, NY

Not so similar. After I calmed down, I decided to take it home and give it a spin.

And I liked it. The writing was beautiful (unsurprising considering Penni Russon was a poet first and author second). It was also cliche-free and since she's Australian there was some fun lingo in there.

And while I enjoyed it, I liked it more for the writing than for the story itself. The end kind of confused me. I don't know maybe I just need to pick up the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment