Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Stockett



I detoured from the YA genre and jumped on The Help bandwagon. As expected, it was good. The parts about Mae Mobley really got me because my daughter is in that age-group right now. During the week I read it, I made extra sure I told her how beautiful and smart and sweet she is. I was already doing that, but a few dozen more times each day won't hurt :)


I began speaking with an even more exaggerating southern drawl while reading this. My husband would ask why I was talking funny and then I'd read him a passage from the book and he'd say "Oh" like that was the only explanation he needed.



I saw the movie two days after finishing the book and per usual, I liked the book better though the movie didn't do a horrible job. I'm just glad I also read the book so I understood the whole, detailed story.




SPOILER:



One thing that really bothered me about the movie though is that they went to all the trouble of putting the actress who played Constantine in contacts so that she had hazel eyes, but then skipped the part about her daughter Rachel being high yellow. To me, the film makers should have done either both or neither.


Also I could have done without the love interest in the book and in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment